Student's budget

Example of a student's monthly budget
(€ 920 in total):

  • Housing: 500
  • Food: 180
  • Health insurance: 40
  • Clothing etc.: 100
  • Miscellaneous: 100  
    (transport, social activities)

For International Students

Tuition fees for the 2014-2015 academic year

Students with EU/EFTA nationality or Surinamese nationality

All Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes is € 1,906 per year.

Students with non-EU/EFTA nationality

  • All Bachelor's programmes € 8,464,- per year
  • All Master's programmes € 13,226,- per year

    Please note:

    • The various TU Delft joint programmes have their own individual tuition fees
    • Tuition fees for TU Delft’s programmes are reviewed annually
    • For TU Delft's MSc programmes an application fee of € 100 is required*
    • The tuition fee for Freemover students is the same as the tuition fee for Bachelor's students (Free mover students are 'non-degree' students, making their own arrangements. As a free mover student you are not involved in an Erasmus exchange programme or any other bilateral agreement and are required to pay tuition fee at TU Delft. Free movers can be registered at TU Delft for an uninterrupted period of maximum 12 months)

    * The application fee is only refundable to students who will actually start their MSc studies in Delft.

    Living expenses and other costs
    You will need approximately € 1.500,- to cover initial settling-in expenses. The cost of living and study, including food, accommodation, transport, books, and obligatory health insurance is estimated to be between € 850 and € 1.100,- per month.

    Study and work
    Although Dutch law allows foreign students to work part-time while studying, it stipulates that income from employment should be 'additional'. This means that you should be able to finance your studies without working.

    EU/EFTA students are permitted to work an unlimited number of hours
    As an EU/EFTA student you are free to work as many hours as you like during your studies. Your employer does not need to have a work permit for you.

    Non-EU/EFTA students are allowed to work up to a maximum number of hours and must have a work permit
    Non-EU/EFTA nationals are allowed to:

    • work a maximum of 10 hours per week, or
    • 3 months full-time during June - August

    Please note that your residence permit will be retracted if you work more. A work permit, to be applied for by the employer, is compulsory for non-EU/EFTA nationals.

    Health insurance is more expensive if you work
    Be aware that you are no longer entitled to student health insurance (premium approximately € 40,- per month) if you are working. As an alternative, you should get coverage under an employees health insurance programme (premium approximately € 95,- per month).

    Finding a job
    Don't base your finances on the assumption that you will find a job with the University (as a teaching assistant, for example) or with a company outside the university. Finding part-time work is not easy. Employment agencies can assist in finding part-time jobs for students in the business and industrial sectors, but most employers prefer personnel who are fluent in Dutch.

    Read more about working while studying on the Nuffic website.

    © 2014 TU Delft